Wednesday, September 5, 2012

My Chocolate Green Smoothie



I really want to like green smoothies, but it's been hard to find one that doesn't taste too "vegetabley" and that my kids will like.

Today, through experimenting, I found one that I actually like!  And, it's kid-friendly too!

Recipe:
1 frozen banana
1 handful of spinach
1 tsp. flax seed oil or ground flax seeds
1/2 cup Almond Milk (or any milk you like)
1/2 cup Water
1 Tbsp. unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1 Tbsp. Almond Butter (or peanut butter or cashew butter, etc.)

Put it all in a blender and voila!  It's pretty yummy...I didn't have to choke this one down!

Note: I used the Ninja Blender.  See here.  It may not be as good as a Vitamix, but I've been pretty impressed with it and it's way cheaper than the Vitamix!

I've also found a good lunch alternative for my children is to make smoothies ahead of time and freeze them into freeze pop molds.  See here.

A good recipe I use for the freeze pops is:
1/2 Cup Greek Yogurt
Handful of Spinach
1 Banana (Frozen or Room Temp.)
4 Frozen Strawberries
1/4 cup juice ( I use apple or orange)
1 Tbsp. Flax Seed Oil

*Additions: Oatmeal can be added, flax seeds, chai seeds, etc.

What's your favorite green smoothie recipe???

No comments:

Post a Comment